The Top 25 Fun Facts About Italy You Wish You Always Knew
In the land of Prada, Milan Fashion Week, beautiful monuments and even more delicious pasta, there are even more intricate facets that make up the dynamic country.
YourMadeinItaly especially delves into the realm of fashion, as that is our favorite pursuit.
So, let’s take a look at the fun tid-bits and factoids that help craft the story behind the wonderful country of Italy and its many household names!
1. Almost four-fifths of the Italian landscape is made up of mountains or hills
2. Italy is the fifth most visited country in the world
3. Italy has more hotel rooms than any other nation in Europe
4. During the Covid-19 emergency, Armani made disposable gowns, Ferrari the ventilators, Gucci the masks and Bulgari hand sanitizer gel
5. Italian cops have a special Lamborghini police car, used mainly for transporting organs and blood to save lives
6. Despite being very much an Italian brand, Dolce & Gabbana opened its first store, in 1989, in Japan
7. All three of Europe’s active volcanoes are in Italy
8. Valentino owns five pugs that travel everywhere with him. Their names are Monty, Maude, Margot, Maggie, and Molly
9. Karl Lagerfeld is said to own more than 300,000 books and has even created a scent for book lovers called Paper Passion
10. Italy is home to more than 1,500 lakes
11. Chanel’s famous 2.55 bag takes its name from the date it was invented, February 1955
12. Before she was a fashion designer, Vera Wang dreamed of becoming an Olympic figure skater
13. The ice cream cone is an Italian invention
14. Christian Dior was a strong believer in psychics and would visit one to determine which day would be best to show his latest collection
15. Italians have eaten pasta since the 4th century B.C.
16. Pizza was invented in Naples
17. Before Giorgio Armani became a fashion designer, he worked at Italian department store La Rinascente as a window dresser
18. Italians have over 2,500 types of cheese
19. While Emilio Pucci is best known for his fashion designs, he also created the mission patch for the Apollo 15 space mission
20. Stefano Pilati wanted to be a land surveyor when he was younger, but gave it up for the chance to intern at Cerruti
21. Italians were once known for having large families, however Italy is now known for having Europe's lowest birthrate
22. According to the Telegraph, Italians consume 14 billion espressos each year
23. Gianni Versace had such an extensive book collection that he needed a full-time librarian to organize his five libraries
24. Ottavio Missoni met his wife Rosita at the 1948 Olympic Games in London at which he was competing
25. In 2016, an estimated €1.4 million (US$1.5 million) was thrown into the Trevi the fountain
A Note From YourMadeinItaly
We hope you enjoyed reading through some of these fun, amusing or exciting facts about Italy, the country whose passion, warmth and love is fueled right through the work of our local Italian artisans.
A fun fact of our own is that all consultations with YourMadeinItaly are free — simply chat with us about what leather products you’d like us to create, recreate or design, so that you have a little taste of the beautiful country in your own home.
All our work is authentic, hand-made, custom-made and truly one-of-a-kind — just like our beloved country of Italy!